Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Home-baked Mac N' Cheese


This is a recipe from Kraft Foods magazine. It's super easy and really good, I think. I've tried lots of recipes that are much more complicated than this and aren't as good. I hope you agree. (I did take my own picture, but it didn't look very appetizing, so I went with the stock pic.)

Prep Time:20 min
Total Time:45 min
Makes:5 servings, 1 cup each.
1 pkg. (14 oz.) KRAFT Deluxe Macaroni & Cheese Dinner
1 cup KRAFT Shredded Cheddar Cheese, divided
1/2 cup BREAKSTONE'S or KNUDSEN Sour Cream
1/4 tsp. ground red pepper(cayenne) or black pepper
6 RITZ Crackers, crushed (about 1/4 cup)
1 Tbsp. butter or margarine, melted

PREHEAT oven to 375°F. Prepare Dinner as directed on package. Stir in 1/2 cup of the Cheddar cheese, the sour cream and pepper.

SPOON into greased 1-1/2 qt. baking dish; sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup Cheddar cheese and the combined cracker crumbs and butter.

BAKE 20 min. Let stand 5 min. before serving.


If your kids are going to eat it I would reduce the pepper to about an 1/8th tsp. The cayenne pepper gives it a really nice zip though. Also, I usually use the 2% reduced fat version of Kraft Deluxe and when I can't find that the 2% Velveeta shells and cheese does just as well. You can reduce the fat and calories by using light versions of sour cream and shredded cheese as well. We all really like this and like I said, it doesn't get any easier than this!

1 comment:

The Van Epps said...

I made this the other night and it was really good!